Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
These baked Jamaican jerk chicken wings are packed with flavor — spicy and tangy with a hint of sweetness that will make you forget Buffalo Wild Wings ever existed.
What is jerk seasoning made of?
Jerk seasoning covers all the bases in the spice world. It’s got aromatics, herbs, heat, sugar, and spices. Most jerk seasonings will include
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder/dried onion flakes
- Brown sugar
There can be a lot of variations in jerk seasoning recipes. I chose to add dried onion flakes to my jerk seasoning mix to give it some extra texture, but if you don’t have those on hand you can easily substitute with onion powder for the same flavor. Sometimes you’ll also find paprika and cumin, but I chose to leave them out in the recipe.
Because these jerk chicken wings are heavily seasoned, there is no need for a dipping sauce in my opinion. Those flavors are present in every bite, even the insides. If I had to recommend a sauce to go with, it would be ranch. Sorry blue cheese fans!
Is the jerk seasoning super spicy?
This recipe can be made as mild or as spicy as you want it. I used 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper and thought it was just a step above medium — enough to feel some heat but not enough to overpower the other flavors. However this also depends on how long you’ve had cayenne stored away on the spice rack — it will lose potency over time. If you are sensitive to spice I would suggest ½ to 1 teaspoon of cayenne. You could also add a little extra brown sugar to balance out that heat.
How to make jerk chicken wings
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Mix all the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
Place the chicken wings in a large bowl along with the oil. Toss to coat evenly.
Add the spice rub to the bowl and toss the wings until they’re evenly coated.
Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil and arrange the chicken wings
Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
If you like this recipe, you may like
Jamaican Jerk Chicken Wings
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons ground thyme
- 1/2-2 teaspoons cayenne
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried onion flakes or onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground clove
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1.5 pounds of chicken wings
- Cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix all the spices in a small bowl and set aside.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl along with the oil. Toss to coat evenly.
- Add the spice rub to the bowl and toss the wings until they're evenly coated.
- Spray a baking sheet with cooking oil and arrange the chicken wings
- Bake for 40 to 45 minutes until crispy and golden brown.
- Serve with celery and ranch!