Key Lime Pie with Greek Yogurt
The best and easiest key lime pie recipe you’ll find! It’s made with a homemade graham cracker crust, a tangy, refreshing, and creamy filling, and topped with whipped cream. Delish!
I began recipe testing this pie to surprise my friend Joe who was coming to visit. This is his favorite dessert, so I knew I had to make him a version that would top all the other ones he had throughout his life. Let’s just say this recipe does not disappoint!!
Key lime pie variations
Key lime pie is easy to make and has many customizations. Read more about easy ingredient substitutions below!
Can you use regular limes in a key lime pie?
Yep! Key limes can be tricky to find in regular supermarkets if you don’t live in Florida, California, Texas in the states, or in Mexico, Central America, and South America. Regular limes will work just fine. I found that about 4 to 5 limes make about ¾ cup lime juice. If you can find key limes, it will take around 20 limes because they are much smaller.
Tip: Skip the prepackaged lime or key lime juice. Although tempting, bottled lime juice contains chemicals and additives that make it taste “off.”
Should I use Greek yogurt or sour cream?
I opted for Greek yogurt for this key lime pie because it has no saturated fat and fewer calories than sour cream. I also like how greek yogurt comes in single one-cup servings so there is no fuss trying to get the correct amount into a measuring cup. Both sour cream and greek yogurt add creaminess to the pie.
Recipes that call for eggs
Some variations call for the use of 4 to 5 egg yolks instead of sour cream/Greek yogurt. Personally, I didn’t like the pie with eggs yolks. It made it more of a gelatinous custard. There are people out there that do prefer this, so if this is you, just swap out the yogurt for 4-5 egg yolks.
How long does key lime pie last?
About 20 minutes after you serve it! Just kidding. If you do have leftovers, store in the refrigerator. It will keep for a week.
Like this pie recipe? Try out
Easy Key Lime Pie with Greek Yogurt
- Graham cracker crust
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsp butter melted
- 3/4 cup fresh lime juice -4 to 5 limes
- 2 tablespoons grated lime zest divided
- 1 cup of plain greek yogurt
- 28 oz sweetened condensed milk
- Whipped Cream optional
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Melt the butter and combine with sugar and graham cracker crumbs. Press the mixture firmly into a pie pan with your fingers or knuckles. Bake for 7-8 minutes, then take out of the oven to cool.
- Whisk together the lime juice, 1 tablespoon of lime zest, sweetened condensed milk, and Greek yogurt. Pour into the pie pan on top of the crust and then sprinkle the remaining tablespoon of lime zest on top. Bake for 10 minutes until the filling has just set.
- Let the pie chill for about 20 minutes, then chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. When ready to serve, top with whipped cream.
Check out more American recipes, or leave me a comment below!